Halloween is one of the most festive times of the year. However, as a responsible pet owner, remember these tips to keep your fur people safe:
- Keep candy out of reach. Candy = poisonous choking hazard to pets!
- Be mindful of your decorations, especially wires. Pets can easily chew up something they’re not supposed to and get sick or worse.
- Don’t leave pumpkins lit around pets. Lit jack-o-lanterns can be a fire hazard and possibly injure pets!
- If you’re having a Halloween party, make sure your animals have a safe place to go if they want to hide. Having a lot of strangers around, the door repeatedly opening, lots of noise, and people in weird costumes can be stressful for pets.
- Keep pets indoors. Make sure your pets have proper identification such as collars with current ID tags and/or a microchip if they do get out. Current ID can help reunite lost pets with their humans!
- Be careful with pet costumes. Some pets enjoy being dressed up; others do not. Don’t force your pet to wear a costume. If your pet does wear a costume, be sure it does not inhibit your pet’s movement, breathing, or ability to vocalize. Make sure that your pet doesn’t overheat in the costume either.
- Last but not least, use common sense. Be responsible. Be safe and ensure your pets are safe too!