Happy DOGust everyone! And, whew, it is HOT. So obviously it’s time for indoor parties. Do you throw birthday parties for your pets? I have friends who celebrate their dogs’ birthdays. However, if you don’t always know your dog’s birthdate. Thanks to the efforts of the North Shore Animal League and the ASPCA, the month of DOGust and the Universal Birthday for Shelter and Rescue Dogs came into being!
Photo courtesy of Pexels
At a loss at how to throw a DOGust-worthy “pawty”? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- If you’re going to have any outdoor activities, do it early in the morning and in the shade. Dogs can get overheated and sun- or heatstroke.
- Offer lots of water to human and canine guests to keep them cool and comfortable.
- Don’t forget refreshments. Peanut butter treats would be a good idea, or, for the ambitious, a bone-shaped puppy cake.
- Provide splash time in a kiddie pool and lots of toys so everyone can play. If some want to play inside, that’s okay too.
- In lieu of presents for your pup, request that guests make a donation to a local shelter or rescue group. This can be cash, supplies, time, or skills!
- For party favors, all the canine attendees could get bandanas.
- Remember to take plenty of snazzy photos!
- Have fun!
Photo courtesy of The Dodo