Charlie is currently alternating between batting around a crinkle ball and spazzing out over a plastic spring. Garrus is watching the show. Boudicca is waiting patiently for lap time. Clearly my house is a happening place on Friday nights.
The Downton Tabbies have already mastered how to camouflage in plain sight by sleeping in the kitty condos in their deluxe cat tree. I expect their ninja skills will also increase as they practice vertical zoomies.
Garrus woke up on the extra lovey side of the cat bed this morning. Before I got up, he came asking for rubs, followed me about (including when I vacuumed!), and seemed intent on polishing my ankles and ensuring that every inch of my legs received tail hugs. Then I had three cats on the bed demanding attention and received purrs as a reward. Oh the joys of being a cat mom!
Apparently Charlie woke up on the extra chirpy side of the cat bed this morning. So much trilling and squeaking! I wish I could I understand what he’s saying but I don’t speak squeaky cat.
Garrus and Charlie have apparently invented a new zoomies game: chase each other, pause, cat A jumps over cat B, chase, pause, cat B jumps over cat A, repeat. I’m not sure what the objective is (keep away? tag? leaping contest?) but it’s pretty amusing to watch. These boys woke up from their afternoon nap full of beans.
I bought the cats a package of plastic spring toys for $1. I showed them to the boys (Boudicca was uninterested) and threw them across the living room. The boys LEAPED after the springs like they were auditioning for Cirque du Soleil. Such elation and excitement! Now the boys are batting the springs ALL over the house. I expect that these springs will wind up in every nook and cranny for the foreseeable future.
As part of my research for blog content ideas, I came across so many resources that discussed unusual holidays, especially those concerning animals. Here are a few for October!
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month
- National Pet Wellness Month
- ASPCA’s Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- American Humane’s Adopt-a-Dog Month
- International Black Cat Awareness Month
- October 1-7: National Walk Your Dog Week
- October 4: World Animal Day
- 1st Full Week of October: Animal Welfare Week (American Veterinary Medical Foundation)
- October 11: National Pet Obesity Awareness Day
- 3rd Full Week of October (15-21 in 2017): National Veterinary Technician Week (National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America)
- October 16: Global Cat Day/National Feral Cat Day
- October 27: Black Cat Day
- October 29: National Cat Day
- October 30: National Black Cat Day (UK)
Petty Officer Squeakums (aka Charlie) is currently making his rounds for pit stop visits. It is adorable!
I put a brown paper bag on the floor for the boys to investigate. They are KEENLY interested, if a bit afraid of the loud crinkling it makes. Garrus has been brave enough to enter several times. Periodically I hear a small ruckus in the living room and the sound of Charlie skittering away. I think they are enjoying themselves.
Charlie: (squeaking) Mom! Mom! Mom!
Me: Yes, Squeakums? *gives scritches and attention*
Charlie: (still squeaking) Hi! *darts away, squeaking* Thanks for the scritches! Bye Mom!
He’s done this four times this morning. I have a squeaky cat who likes pit-stop scritches.