Happy happy National Puppy Day! Of course in my book, all dogs are puppies, regardless of age. As with any pet-centered holiday, take this as an excuse to celebrate your pet (safely!) and have fun!
Here are a few ways you can do this with your canine companion:
- ADOPT! You don’t necessarily have to adopt a puppy – they do require work, training, and socialization. It’s important to find the right home for the right pet.
- Volunteer at your local shelter. Exercise puppies, socialize them, and/or teach them basic obedience commands. Fostering is also a great way to volunteer and help a shelter animal.
- Training your puppy! Ensuring your dog can walk correctly on a leash so that you are walking your dog rather than the dog walking you is super important.
- Ensure that your puppy is well-socialized around other people and dogs and exposed to new experiences.
- Assist an elderly neighbor or friend by walking their pooch for them or helping them take their dog to the vet.
- Have a puppy party! Invite all your friends and their puppies.
All photos courtesy of Pexels